It's easy to understand the apprehension children often feel; there's something about early morning wake-up calls and late-evening homework sessions that can make even the most dedicated of students feel anxious, overwhelmed, or even sad.
There is a way you can help your child build excitement about the start of school; you can take them shopping. Here are a few essential items to shop for to help your child get off to a good start this school year:
1. Backpacks. Backpacks aren't just a comfortable and convenient way to transport books, schoolwork, electronics, and other materials; they're also a great way for students to express themselves. Today's backpacks come in all shapes and sizes, and feature a multitude of colors, so your student can pick out the one that appeals to their sense of fashion and utility.
2. New sneakers. The start of the school year often means new clothing and accessories and one of the most exciting wardrobe essentials for kids of all ages is new sneakers. A fresh pair of new “kicks” can help kick off the year in comfort and style.
3. School supplies. Times may have changed greatly since you were in school, but one thing that hasn't changed is the need for good old fashioned school supplies, such as notebooks, pens, pencils, erasers, paper, glue sticks and scissors. Today's supplies come in bright and cheery colors that can take the gloom out of homework.
4. Electronics/gadgets. If you have the budget, take your child shopping for new electronics, such as headphones, calculators, flash drives, or maybe even an electronic reader or iPad. Help them find apps to build their learning skills or keep them organized.
5. Healthy snacks. Even if your child purchases school lunches, they will still want to have snacks during the school day. Take your child grocery shopping and allow them to pick out delicious and healthy snacks.
By taking the time to shop with your children for school, you'll show them you want to be involved in their educational success. And that gift is priceless.
*Please be advised that you are leaving First Security Bank and Trust's website. These links are provided as a courtesy. First Security Bank and Trust does not endorse or control the content of third party websites.